In my case, it’s paying money for someone to pump fear, anger and violence into my wife and children.
I’ve been working since 2008 to cut the cord. However, my wife made an excellent point that the kids programs are useful.
Seven years later, I came up with a strategy that will save me $1,500 over the next year.
Here’s what I did:
- Buy a Roku box
- Unplug my cable box, plug in my roku
- Set up amazon direct and netflix
- Netflix – we went for the two streaming plan so we can use an iPad as well as the Roku
- Run the above in parallel with cable for a month to prove concept to my wife
- Head down to Best Buy and get a basic cable modem
- Call up my cable company to activate my owned-modem
- Return all my hardware and change my account to broadband only
Time investment 90 minutes.
One year net savings $1,500.
If you are married to an athlete then make the shift in a non-Olympic year during the off-season of her favorite sport.
I play a long game!