A favorite question:
What one thing, if it happened, would change everything?
It can be uncomfortable to acknowledge that our current life experience is a result of the (mostly mental) habits that we’ve created to date.
When I ask myself the above question, I compare my answer to where I spent my time over the last week. I often find myself lacking focus.
Creation of Habits + Time = Life Situation
With the above equation, I consider my habits of thought, action and speech. Listen quietly to any person and they will tell you what they think of themselves (by the humor they share about others).
Because we are mostly operating on autopilot, Free Will is found at the margin of our lives. So, to change EVERYTHING, we need to figure out our ONE THING and focus our Free Will.
- Getting fit
- Family income and expense balance
- Gaining control of my schedule
- Losing weight
- Being able to ride outside in good weather
- Being able to eat and drink as much as I want
- Finding love
- Publishing a book
- Winning a special race
- Finding a sexual partner
I’ve had many “one things.”
So many that I joke with my wife, “Honey, I think I’ve finally found THE answer.”
I joke but there have been several things that have proved transformative:
- A kind spouse that motivates self-improvement
- Capital to support freedom of occupation and location
- Weight loss and exercise leading to wellness
- Shedding disharmony – in my own mind and in my choice of peers
- A willingness to own, and share, my errors
- Living in a beautiful place where I enjoy an outdoor life
Right now, I have two things:
- Reducing the fatigue that I experience from parenting
- Achieving income/expense balance
What’s your thing?
Awareness is the first step towards transformation.
Sustainable action consists of building the habit of one small action, done first each day.